Tribulus, in traditional medicine, is used for its libido and testosterone boosting properties, but when used as a bodybuilding supplement it has additional benefits.
If you’ve never heard of Tribulus, or you’re thinking about adding it to your supplement regimen, we’ve gathered some information about this supplement and reviewed some of the best products on the market today.
Top 5 Best Tribulus Terrestris Supplements
- Boost Elite (best of the best)
- Test X180 Alpha
- Alpha Male
- BRI Nutrition Tribulus
- Optimum Nutrition Tribulus
It can be hard to know where to start when it comes to bodybuilding supplements. There are easily hundreds of them on the market today, and not all of them are able to do what they claim.
One supplement that is gaining in popularity for bodybuilders is an herbal supplement known as Tribulus Terrestris. It’s an herb used in Ayurveda, a form of holistic medicine practiced in India.
Read Also: What are the best CLA supplements?
It produces fruit that is covered with spines and is colloquially known as the ‘puncture plant’ because the spikes are thought to be sharp enough to puncture bicycle tires.
Now, on with the show!
What Are The Benefits of Tribulus?
Tribulus is a natural herb that has been studied recently both for its effects on the male libido and its use as a bodybuilding supplement. One study, using rats as the subjects, found that not only did it improve the libido of the rats, it helped to increase androgen (testosterone) production and also encouraged the production of additional nitric oxide in the body.
If you’re familiar with workout supplements at all, you know that nitric oxide is a good thing. It helps to dilate your blood vessels which increase blood flow to your limbs and helps to improve endurance and muscle recovery during workouts.
As an overall health supplement, this nitric oxide production can also help improve the health of your circulatory system.
It can, in some cases, also help with the treatment of mood swings and depression if those mental issues are caused by a hormone imbalance. This benefit is currently entirely anecdotal, and Tribulus should not be used to treat mental health disorders without consulting your doctor.
Is Tribulus A Testosterone Booster?
While it has been shown to work as an androgen booster in rats, there are no studies currently completed that suggest that tribulus is a testosterone booster. That being said, there isn’t a lot known about how Tribulus actually works.
It has, from firsthand accounts, been shown to improve libido but it is thought to do so without actually affecting the body’s testosterone levels.
More studies are required to determine whether or not Tribulus has any lasting effect on testosterone levels.
What Are Steroidal Saponins In Tribulus?
You’ll see, included on the label of many Tribulus supplements something called steroidal saponins. You might balk at the word steroid in the name, but these are not anabolic steroids, nor are they an illegal substance.
Steroidal saponins are a plant product found in the Tribulus Terrestris plant and they provide a building block for the body to produce its own natural steroids. This saponin, specifically a saponin known as protodioscin, is most likely the active ingredient in Tribulus.
Read Also: What are the best pro hormone supplements?
Different breeds of Tribulus may contain different levels of saponins, so it’s important to look for a supplement that provides high levels of these chemicals to get the most out of your Tribulus supplement.
It’s a totally natural part of the supplement, but the name tends to turn people off, so we wanted to make sure to explain it.
What Are the Side Effects of Tribulus?
There have been no truly negative side effects reported after taking Tribulus. There was one report of a man poisoned after taking Tribulus, but further research found that he was taking a supplement that was mixed with toxic levels of anabolic steroids.
Minor Side Effects Might Include:
- You may feel warmer than normal. While uncomfortable in warm weather, it is not a dangerous side effect.
- You may feel restless or feel as though you can’t sleep at night. Tribulus often helps increase overall energy levels, which can lead to restlessness and/or insomnia.
- Increased heartbeat. You may feel as though your heart is beating faster than normal. If this is the case, it is suggested that you reduce your dosage of the supplement.
Of course, if you start to experience any severe side effects, it’s important to stop taking the Tribulus immediately and seek medical attention.
It is important to note that Tribulus is often paired with other supplements to improve muscle growth and nitric oxide production before, during, and after workouts.
Keep a close eye on the ingredients included in your supplement to ensure that none of the ingredients will react badly with any medications that you’re taking.
Currently, it has been shown to interact badly with lithium, a drug used to treat bipolar disorder, and drugs used for the treatment of diabetes.
When Is The Best Time To Take Tribulus?
Tribulus is a supplement that is designed to be taken in capsule form rather than mixed with water. Most Tribulus supplements suggest that you take between 750 and 1250mg a day.
The supplements suggest that you take the capsules for a certain period of time, with pauses of days or weeks in between, depending on the dosing schedule.
Read the instructions on your supplement. Most will suggest taking between 1-2 capsules twice a day. On workout days, you’ll want to take your second dose 30 minutes before your workout starts. On rest days, simply take your first dose with breakfast and the second with lunch.
You do have to take Tribulus regularly to feel the full effects. It can take up to 4-6 weeks to feel the full effects of this supplement.
Tribulus Terrestris Reviews
Now we get to the heart of the matter – the top Tribulus Terrestris supplements on the market. Here we’ve reviewed 5 supplements and listed pros and cons to help you choose the best Tribulus supplement for you and your workout routine.
Boost Elite is a Tribulus supplement that includes a variety of different ingredients to help you get the most out of your workout. In addition to Tribulus, it includes horny goat weed and fenugreek extract.
The former is thought to help with both sexual health and workout fatigue, while the latter contains more of those fantastic saponins and helps to reduce body fat. It rounds out the formula with maca root, zinc, ginseng, and some herbs native to both Southeast Asia and South Africa to help amp up your performance.
The formula is designed to help with muscle gain while improving your energy levels and fighting fatigue.
- All Natural Formula – This supplement focuses on providing the best clean supplement on the market with no fillers or artificial ingredients.
- Energy Booster – The formula provides natural and sustained energy throughout the day.
- Headaches – Supplement has been known to cause headaches when you first start taking it, though this can normally be resolved by taking a lower dosage.
Test X180 Alpha
Lean muscle growth and increased testosterone are the goals of the Test X180 Alpha supplement. It relies on Testofen, which is formulated to boost testosterone, as well as a nitric oxide boosting blend filled with citrulline.
While this part of the supplement is marketed as sexual performance blend, citrulline is often used on its own to increase levels of nitric oxide in the body, specifically in pre-workout blends.
Test X rounds out their formula with essential minerals, which can help with overall health and wellness, and B vitamins for that natural energy boost.
Unlike many of their other supplements, Alpha isn’t designed to help you burn fat. It’s strictly a muscle building and libido strengthening supplement.
- Citrulline – The inclusion of citrulline in this blend makes it a fantastic supplement to take pre-workout. The nitric oxide production stimulated by the citrulline improves blood flow, which is a perk both in and out of the bedroom.
- Great Energy – The B vitamins provide steady, sustained energy that doesn’t leave you bouncing off the walls and doesn’t make you crash at the end.
- Rough on the stomach – The formula can cause stomach pain if taken on an empty stomach. If experienced, this can be remedied by simply having a small snack before taking the supplement.
Alpha Male is a very simple and straightforward Tribulus supplement – in fact, it only contains 3 active ingredients.
In addition to the Tribulus, which is the backbone of this supplement, Alpha Male contains Eurycoma Longifolia and Forskolin Carbonate.
The former is an herb used in Malaysia that has been used for many years as a natural treatment for erectile dysfunction because it raises the body’s testosterone levels.
The latter is another herb used in Ayurveda specifically for its fat burning properties.
- Stacked Supplements – Alpha Male stacks the testosterone building power of Tribulus with Eurycoma Longifolia, another herb known for improving testosterone levels in humans.
- Fat Burning Power – This supplement is also good for anyone who’s looking to increase testosterone levels while burning fat.
- Men Only – While other Tribulus supplements are marketed to both men and women, Alpha Male has a warning label that specifically says “Do not take if you are female.”
BRI Nutrition Tribulus Terrestris
BRI Nutrition is where it’s at when it comes to those beneficial saponins. Their Tribulus supplement has 45% steroidal saponins, which is the ideal amount for the best benefits.
There’s also no added filler to these pills – other than the gelatin needed to hold the pill together, there is nothing but Tribulus in these supplements! It is, quite possibly, the purest source of Tribulus readily available today, but don’t take our word for it.
- Purity – This supplement contains nothing but Tribulus Terrestris, which is ideal if you just want Tribulus to stack with other supplements.
- 90 Day Supply – This supplement is sold in lots of 180, making it a 90 day supply. Other supplements are often sold in just 30-day supplies.
- May Not Work Alone – If you need more than just Tribulus to get the benefits you’re looking for, this isn’t the supplement for you.
Optimum Nutrition Tribulus
Optimum Nutrition markets their Tribulus supplement as a testosterone booster, though it is a good option for both men and women who might need a bit of extra help in the testosterone department. The formulation is simple – we think.
Unfortunately, this particular supplement relies on a proprietary Tribulus blend, so it’s difficult to say what exactly is in their supplement.
According to their website, the supplement contains just Tribulus, but they provide no information about the percentage of saponins in their product.
- Simple Formula – Useful if you want to stack your tribulus supplement with other products.
- Great for Libido – The single ingredient formula uses tribulus as a libido booster, and it works ideally.
- Proprietary Blend – This supplement relies on a proprietary tribulus blend, making it difficult to know the exact ingredients of the formula.
Final Thoughts On Tribulus Supplements
With all that information, we know that one question is burning in your mind – who is the winner of the title of top Tribulus supplement?
After reviewing all the products, we’ve found one clear winner – Test X180 Alpha.
This supplement is a well-balanced option if you’re looking for something to boost your workout as well as your energy levels and libido. It’s ideal for both men and women, especially when you consider the citrulline, minerals, and B vitamins that are included in the formula.
Tribulus supplements aren’t for everyone, but if you’re looking to get an edge either in the gym or in the bedroom, Test X180 Alpha is our clear winner.