Not sure which frozen meals delivered to your door will best fit for your needs?
You're in the right spot!
In this Athletic Muscle guide, I'll be covering:
- What are the benefits of frozen food delivery?
- What should you look for in frozen meal delivery service?
- And my top 5 frozen food delivery services?
Overall #1 Pick
Updated As of 08/03/20
- Pre-made fitness meals
- Pre-cooked microwavable meals
When considering frozen and pre-cooked meals, MealPro sits on top of our list.
First and foremost, MealPro is a frozen meal delivery service developed with athletes and professional body builders in mind.
All meals are designed and prepared by seasoned chefs and nutritionists to make sure that every pack is a feast rich in all the needed nutrition.
Subscribers can key in their preferences to lay out the meal guidelines to be followed. Each box contains around 16 to 18 meals per week and the delivery is 1 to 3 days from the time you placed your order.
MealPro services all of the states of the country and some parts in Canada. All of MealPro's produce are non-GMO and can be cooked within only 3-5 minutes.
What's even better is that MealPro has set up a rewards points system for all of its subscribers offering an even more exciting and rewarding way to enjoy each delicious meal.
Keep reading to learn everything there is to know about these frozen meal delivery services!
Top 5 Best Frozen Meal Delivery Services
Check out our below list for a summary of our results. Keep on reading to learn more about your frozen meal delivery options!
There's no question about it: prioritizing your diet is hard when you're busy.
But no matter how much you have going on, it's so important for your health and fitness to be eating nutritious, healthy foods.
Fortunately, it's 2020—which means there are literally hundreds of meal prep services out there you can use to save time. But some of those services still require you to cook the food, which you might not want to do.
That's when a frozen meal delivery service becomes useful. You can get healthy, quality foods delivered right to your doorstep, fully-cooked. They heat up in three minutes or less. You eat, then you're right back to your busy schedule.
Here's a breakdown of the 5 best frozen delivery services in 2020, along with the factors you should consider when determining the best fit for you.
What are the Benefits of Frozen Food Delivery Service?
Frozen food doesn't always get the best wrap, so perhaps you're wondering why someone might use a frozen meal delivery service. There are actually a handful of benefits.
Here are some:
- No meal preparation (besides heating)- Many meal services just ship the raw ingredients to your house portioned out. If you don't like cooking or don't have time, this may be a good option.
- Cost-effective- Most fresh meal delivery services cost more than frozen ones do. One reason for that is the overhead of fresh ingredients is greater. Frozen services can buy in greater quantities which lower costs.
- A la carte purchasing- The meals are already made, so you can order your favorites in bulk instead of waiting for them to re-appear on the menu or come into season.
- Flash-frozen meals- In contrast to popular belief, frozen foods still retain many of the nutrients that fresh foods do(*). And the meals listed below are mostly flash-frozen, meaning at the peak of freshness/right after preparation.
- Many of the other benefits of fresh entrees- The benefits of fresh meal deliveries (services like Trifecta Nutrition or Blue Apron) apply to frozen food delivery, too. Pre-portioned meals, easy calorie or macro counting, no cleanup, and in most cases, fresh ingredients in your food.
Read Also: What are the Top 5 Best CLA Supplements?
Choosing a Frozen Meal Delivery Service for you
Not all frozen meal options are the same. Here are some things to consider when you determine which service is best for you.
There are so many meal delivery services out there now, which helps keep the prices in competitive ranges. You can't help but take cost into account, though, especially if you're planning to use the service for the majority of your meals.
Compare per-week and per-meal pricing to see what works best for your budget.
As you'll see below, many of the frozen food delivery options are catered to a specific diet. If you want to lose weight, or you want to only eat plant-based foods, there are options catered specifically to these goals.
No matter what your nutritional goals, though, place a priority on nutrient-dense foods. There are simply too many good options available for home delivery to not be getting healthy, nutritious meals delivered to your house.
Read More: What are the Best Multivitamins for Keto Diet?
Peruse the menu before making your first order. The options listed below avoid filler foods for the most part, but it's good to keep an eye out for either way.
Filler foods are the cheap starches (rice, pasta, white potatoes) and other high-calorie, low-cost ingredients that some delivery services use. Instead of using nutritious veggies or quality lean proteins, they pack your lunches and dinners with these to keep costs low.
Again, there are enough good options out there that you should be able to avoid this, no matter what your nutrition goals are.
Read More: Trifecta Nutrition Review in 2020 (After 8 Months)
Convenience (Packaging, Delivery, etc.)
Finally, take into account how and when your food is delivered to your door. Everyone has their own preference—due to work schedule and otherwise—and most services provide options to make delivery as convenient as possible to you.
Now, let's look at the 5 best frozen meal delivery services available to you in 2020.
Read More: What are the Top 5 Best Electrolytes for Keto Diet?
Best Frozen Meal Delivery Service Reviews
- Pre-made fitness meals
- Pre-cooked and microwavable
MealPro tops this list because it checks all of the boxes a food delivery service should as outlined in the previous section.
It's got a rotating menu so food options change, they place an emphasis on healthy ingredients, they're cost-effective (under $10/meal), and you get to pick your meal delivery day to make it convenient for you.
In terms of quality, MealPro uses natural, sustainable healthy food like veggies and lean meats, and no chemicals, preservatives, or GMOs go into their products.
One other perk is that members enjoy loyalty benefits. The more you order with them, the more free meals you get.
Samples of their meals include:
- Shrimp stir fry
- Roasted tilapia
- Taco bowls
- Roasted chicken with beans
Their menu is simple but full of delicious meals that will keep you satisfied. Each lunch and dinner option is between 500 and 600 calories.
- Nutritionally balanced
- Door to door delivery
BistroMD offers a unique frozen meal delivery option for people trying to lose weight.
Their nutrition protocol was designed by doctors and nutritionists, and the meals are prepared by professional chefs.
The system is built around balancing macronutrients so that each meal is built around approximately 25 percent fat, 40 percent protein, and 35 percent carbohydrate.
Samples of their menu include:
- Pork tenderloin with mushroom marsala
- Salmon with dill mustard sauce
- Meatloaf with honey bourbon glaze
- Blackened chicken with creamy paprika sauce
Keep in mind that because BistroMD is a weight loss program, and therefore the calorie restrictions on meals are greater than other options on this list.
If you do CrossFit or any other high-intensity exercise or activity, this might not be the right solution for you—the calorie restriction is likely too low.
Still, BistroMD ranks high compared to other options on this list because of its convenience and array of food options.
You can order from over 150 different complete meals each week, so you always have variety. They also ship anywhere in the U.S. and deliver based on your preferred day.
- 100% plant-based
- Plenty of options
- Gluten-free high protein vegetables
Like BistroMD, Veestro is going to work best for specific people on specific diets.
In this case, we're talking about plant-based meals. Whether you're in need of vegan or vegetarian options, or just trying to add more high-quality veggies to your diet, this might be a good solution for you.
Samples of their menu include:
- Red curry with tofu
- Enchilada casserole
- Breakfast burritos
- Tuscan calzone
One of Veestro's unique benefits is the different subscription methods for their program. There are three:
- A la carte- where you order the meals you want in the quantity you want with no minimum order
- Chef's choice- if you're new to the program, like variety, and just want the best meals delivered to your door, they'll hand-pick what gets sent to you
- Weight loss- If you're trying to lose weight with a plant-based diet, Veestro offers a three-meal-per-day system that keep you at 1,200 calories (like BistroMD, this is quite low if you're an athlete)
- Extensive menu
- On-time delivery
- Locally sourced ingredients
TopChefMeals is a newer meal service that delivers easy-to-reheat paleo and keto meals right to your door.
In fact, it makes the list because of it's many specific options that cater towards certain nutritional limitations.
Their frozen meals include entrees that are:
- Low sodium
And because there is no commitment or minimum order, you can order from their over 70 dishes whenever you want. Meals reheat in only three minutes.
Samples of their menu items include:
- Sliced flank steak with mushroom sauce
- Grilled bison burger with cheese
- BBQ chicken thighs
- Chicken and broccoli
- Sliced pork loin with apple gravy
Their meals do vary in price, and certain meals cost a lot more (bison burgers, for example). But they are priced competitively and can be had for between $10 and $15 each.
- Delicious frozen meals
- Ideal for seniors and busy families
- Quick to prepare
Rounding out this list of frozen meal kits is Magic Kitchen's frozen meal delivery service.
Magic Kitchen offers benefits that every other service on this list. They have variety, as you can order a la carte or join one of their meal plans.
They cater to specific diets. And they offer specific discounts and deals for seniors and first-time buyers so you can check out their food.
Samples of their menu include:
- Cheese ravioli with marinara sauce
- Beef burnt ends with barbeque sauce
- California beef stew
- Fettuccine alfredo with chicken breast
- Crab cakes
Magic Kitchen is lower on the list for two reasons. First, their prices are a little higher. Healthy meals cost closer to $13 or $15 as opposed to under $10.
This applies more to the nutrient-dense, protein and veggie type frozen dinners. Prices, as was the case with TopChefMeals, vary based on ingredients and the nutritional value of the dish.
And if you're not in the U.S., it's good to note that, unlike other options on this list, Magic Kitchen ships internationally.