In a hurry? Check out our top choice:
The human body, regardless of gender, produces both estrogen and testosterone. One’s gender determines which hormone is produced more – men naturally produce more testosterone and women naturally produce more estrogen.
In men, having too much estrogen can lead to weight gain, muscle tone loss, and higher levels of fatigue and mental confusion.
- Best Estrogen Blockers
- What is Estrogen?
- What Is An Estrogen Blocker?
- Why Would Men Need An Estrogen Blocker?
- What are the benefits of taking an estrogen blocker?
- What ingredients should you look for in estrogen blocker supplements?
- Are there any side effects from taking an estrogen blocker?
- What is the recommended dosage for over the counter estrogen blockers?
- When is the best time to take your estrogen blocker?
- Product Reviews
- Wrapping It Up
Best Estrogen Blockers
|Androsurge||Check on Amazon|
|Erase Pro+||Check on Amazon|
|PCT Edge||Check on Amazon|
|Estrodex||Check on Amazon|
|Estrotase||Check on Amazon|
This isn’t a slight against women – men’s body simply needs less estrogen and if there is too much in their system, it can be difficult or impossible to get the gains that they’re looking for. That is where estrogen blockers come in.
What is Estrogen?
Estrogen is a hormone produced by the body that is primarily responsible for maintaining sexual and reproductive health in women.
Estrogen is actually a broad term for a number of similar hormones such as estrone, estradiol, and estriol.
In women, estrogen is produced in the ovaries.
Estrogen in Men
Although considered mainly a female hormone, estrogen is also vital in men and ensures the male body can function properly.
In men, estrogen production is relegated to the adrenal gland, the testes, and fat cells throughout the body.
Excessive body fat can contribute to high levels of estrogen in men. Because of the negatives attached to a hormone imbalence many people may want to reduce estrogen levels.
Related: Looking to build more muscle mass? Top pro hormone picks here.
What Is An Estrogen Blocker?
Estrogen blockers help to manage hormone levels by either reducing the amount of estrogen in the male body or in the case of pharmaceutical estrogen blockers, preventing the body’s estrogen receptors from working.
Overall the aim of both natural and pharmaceutial estrogren blockers are the same, to help to reduce estrogren levels and to avoid the drawbacks that high levels and increased estrogren can produce in the male body.
Why Would Men Need An Estrogen Blocker?
Men naturally produce less testosterone as they age. If this happens too quickly or the testosterone levels decrease too much, health problems can occur.
For bodybuilders, this lack of testosterone means that it will be impossible to improve your muscle growth and you may lose the gains you’ve already attained.
What are the benefits of taking an estrogen blocker?
If you’re a man and your estrogen levels are out of whack, they can cause a host of different problems.
You’ll find your body fat levels increasing, obviously leading to overall weight gain.
It’ll be harder to put on muscle and harder to lose the extra pounds you’ve been packing on.
Estrogen even plays a part in your cardiac health – men with healthy levels of estrogen have fewer heart failure related deaths than those with estrogen levels outside the norm.
The main benefit of taking an estrogen blocker is improved muscle growth – it’s easier to put on muscle mass when you don’t have excessive levels of estrogen holding you back.
What ingredients should you look for in estrogen blocker supplements?
There are a number of different active ingredients that you should look for when you’re choosing an estrogen blocker.
Over the counter, estrogen blocker supplements may not be regulated by the FDA, so it’s important to know exactly what’s in your supplement. Look for ingredients like:
- Wild Nettle Root – Nettle is commonly used for prostate health and can act as a natural estrogen blocker by regulating the production of the hormone in the male body.
- Maca – A plant that was originally found in Peru, it’s been used in estrogen blockers since its discovery. The evidence surrounding the use of maca for estrogen blocking is largely anecdotal.
- Chrysin – A flavonoid, usually found in bee products like honey and in plants like passion flower, chrysin is thought to block estrogen and increase testosterone.
- Grape seed extract – This supplement has been proven to act as an estrogen blocker in women who have passed menopause.While it hasn’t been studied yet in men, grape seed should have the same effect as it does in women.
- Zinc – This mineral is an important part of a healthy diet, but it can also act as an estrogen blocker.
- Boron – This trace mineral might not appear in your normal multi vitamin, but it has been shown to decrease estrogen levels and increase testosterone levels.
- Resveratrol – An antioxidant found in red wine, resveratrol has been found to suppress estrogen production in controlled tests. Unfortunately, the amount that you would need to consume to have any positive effect is 20x what you could safely take in most cases.
This is just a small sampling of the ingredients you might see in your supplement – there are dozens of natural supplement ingredients that have been used for estrogen blocking and testosterone improvements
You may find some estrogen blockers that use a proprietary formula – they don’t list the individual ingredients and their amounts on the label. Avoid these whenever possible. They make it more difficult to make the best decisions for your health because you can’t know the amount of each ingredient, and there may be unlisted ‘inactive’ ingredients that could cause negative side effects.
Are there any side effects from taking an estrogen blocker?
There is not a lot of information on the side effects of non-prescription estrogen blockers.
Some men have reported joint pain after taking these supplements – estrogen does play a big role in bone health for both men and women – but these reports are just anecdotal at this point.
These supplements aren’t regulated by the FDA so they are not subject to the mandatory studies and human trials that prescription medications are.
What is the recommended dosage for over the counter estrogen blockers?
This is a difficult question to answer for one simple reason – the dosage recommendation will depend on the formula of the estrogen blocker you’re choosing to take.
Our best advice here is to follow the dosage instructions on your product.
When is the best time to take your estrogen blocker?
Again, this will depend on your specific product – depending on the formula, your supplement may instruct you to take two pills once a day, or two pills three times a day.
It’s important to stick to your product’s dosage schedule for optimum results.
Most estrogen blockers will also recommend a dosing schedule – taking the pills daily for 6-8 weeks, then take a 2-4 week break to allow the body to normalize before starting the cycle over again. Each supplement formula will have its own dosing schedule.
If you’re looking for the best estrogen blocker but you’re not quite sure where to start, you’re in luck – we’ve done all the legwork for you.
Here are reviews for 5 of the top estrogen blockers on the market today, with a list of pros and cons. Hang out with us to the end to find out who the winner is!
Marketed as an elite estrogen blocker for men, Androsurge definitely lives up to its name.
This supplement is made up of a number of natural estrogen blockers, including vitamin D, Zinc, and grape seed extract.
It also includes diindolymethane (DIM) which has been shown to block estrogen and act as a testosterone booster.
If you’re trying to avoid gelatin for dietary reasons, you’re in luck – the capsules for this supplement are made from veggies instead of animal gelatin.
Plus, it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee so if you don’t see any results, it’s easy to contact the company and return the product.
- Vegan – There are no animal products in this supplement. Even the gelatin in the capsules is sourced from vegetable products.
- No Proprietary Blend – Each ingredient is spelled out with its name and dosage on the label.
- Stacks Well – This supplement can be easily stacked with other products to produce optimum results.
Erase Pro +
Erase Pro contains 1000mg of a proprietary blend of herbs and extracts designed to as a testosterone booster and decrease estrogen production. Their primary ingredient is Ashwagandha Root Extract, which makes up 675mg of the 1000mg in each serving. This root extract, also known as Indian ginseng, has been shown in some studies to improve thyroid function and block estrogen in men.
Each jar contains 30 servings, but we’re unsure how long this lasts because there isn’t a whole lot of information about the dosages. If one serving equals one dose for the day, the jar is kind of expensive for a one month supply.
- Natural ingredients – This supplement’s formula relies on natural ingredients such as root extracts to provide estrogen blocking qualities.
- Proprietary Blend – Other than the ashwagandha root, it’s impossible to know the amount of each ingredient in this supplement’s proprietary blend.
If you need a surge, PCT Surge is the estrogen blocker for you. This supplement primarily uses flavonoids and antioxidants like chrysin and resveratrol to act as a testosterone booster as well as block estrogen.
It also includes a number of natural ingredients such as fenugreek extract and Tongkat Ali, both of which have been shown to affect estrogen production.
What sets this supplement apart is that it also includes ingredients for liver support – specifically, milk thistle and L-cysteine to help protect liver function while you’re taking hormone related supplements.
- Natural ingredients – This supplement relies on natural ingredients to offer estrogen blocking and testosterone supporting coverage.
- Liver support – This supplement also includes a blend designed to help support liver health, which is essential.
- Cost effective – This is also one of the most cost effective supplements on the market – costing around $0.50 per serving.
- Proprietary Blend – Surge relies on not one but three proprietary blends – one designed for estrogen blocking, one for testosterone support, and one for liver function.
While this supplement may offer full transparency when it comes to its ingredients unless you’re well versed in supplement lingo, you might still be a little confused.That said, though, it is still an effective estrogen blocking supplement, the formula created specifically to increase testosterone while decreasing estrogen and controlling cortisol.
It’s marketed as a miracle pill, but it’s all science with the ingredients backed by independent studies. Products like Estrotase are probably the closest thing we’ll ever get to experiencing an actual bodybuilding miracle.
- All Natural Formula
- Aromatase Inhibitor
- Estrogen Blocker
- Only a 10 day supply, so you will need 3 bottles to make a month which will add up in cost.
Last but definitely not least on our list is Estrodex by SAN Nutrition.
This supplement is marketed for bodybuilders looking for good post cycle therapy support (PCT) and includes ingredients designed to decrease estrogen levels by preventing the body from turning testosterone into estrogen.
That’s about all we can tell you about the ingredients – we don’t speak German and that’s what they wrote the ingredients in.
The only other downside of this product is that if you follow the dosing instructions on the label, one 90-capsule bottle is only a 15 day supply, so you end up spending effectively twice as much on this supplement as you would on other similar products.
- Blocks Conversion – This particular estrogen blocker prevents testosterone from turning into estrogen, lowering overall estrogen levels and increasing free testosterone levels.
- Ingredients in German – They may not use a proprietary blend but that doesn’t matter unless you read German, which is the language their nutrition labels are written in.
- Short Supply – A bottle of 90 capsules is only a 15 day supply if you follow the suggested dosing instructions.
Wrapping It Up
Thanks for sticking with us this long – we know what you’ve been waiting for. Who comes out on top as the winner of the best estrogen blocker on the market? After reviewing the 5 products we listed above, one clear winner stands above the rest – Androsurge. This estrogen blocker may be one of the more expensive entries on our list, but you definitely get what you pay for in this case.
Androsurge stands apart because of its natural ingredients, it’s total transparency when it comes to the ingredients in its blend, and its choice of purely vegan ingredients makes it ideal for any dietary needs.
If you’re looking for a good estrogen blocker to build your testosterone levels back to normal, boost your muscle mass and improve your libido, Androsurge easily covers all those bases and that is why it is our winner today – but don’t take our word for it.
Try it yourself and see how it works for you!