Sometimes you see a new supplement on the market and you either get giddy about the potential advantages it’ll give you or you automatically assume it’s utter crap.
However, there are some out there that you ride the fence on. How do you know for sure whether a supplement is worth your health and money to test out?
It could be fantastic for your overall athletic performance and experience… or it could wreak havoc on your insides and screw you out of your hard-earned cash.
One such supp is 7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite, created by the company LifeExtension. Does it work? How do you use it? Does it help your body’s health or hinder it?
All of those questions are answered in this article.
Plus, we’ll go over the benefits of taking 7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite, what the ideal dosage is, and our overall review of what this supplement can and cannot do for you.
Let’s get started!
What is 7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite?
This is LifeExtension’s brand for a natural metabolite of DHEA.
DHEA is short for Dehydroepiandrosterone (ain’t that a mouthful) and 7-Keto-DHEA is a byproduct of DHEA. This is a chemical created in our bodies as an endogenous steroid hormone.
It’s one of the most prevalent circulating steroids in human beings, and it helps your body function properly by conducting all of these natural processes.
We’ve talked about DHEA before on Athletic Muscle.
This naturally occurring steroid offers a host of benefits for your health and performance.
What is 7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite Used For?
Now funnily enough, 7-Keto-DHEA does NOT convert to steroid hormones like androgen or estrogen.
Instead, what 7-Keto-DHEA does is ramp up your metabolism and increases overall heat production in your body. In short, it helps to promote weight loss.
Therefore, 7-Keto-DHEA is taken for a whole slew of different reasons.
However, it’s usually the speeding up of the metabolism that people are after when they use this supplement.
7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite Benefits
We’ve talked about it briefly in the previous sections, but there are a lot of potential advantages (some unsupported by science, others a little more believable) of taking 7-Keto-DHEA.
Here are just a few:
- Thermogenic properties: The #1 thing that 7-Keto-DHEA should do for you is to get you hotter… and by that, I mean body temperature wise (meh, it might make you more attractive, too… you never know…). In any case, it should increase your metabolism, making you burn more calories per minute. This heightened rate should have you burn up your glycogen stores faster, making you tap into your fat stores faster as well.
- Increase metabolism: The increased metabolism part also churns your last meal faster. That means you use more of the carbs and protein you recently ingested, instead of storing the excess glycogen as body fat. So not only with the thermogenic effect help you lose weight in terms of fat, it’ll also keep you at that lower weight when you switch over to maintenance.
- May aid muscle gain: To continue the theme of a jacked metabolism, this means that you can get nutrients to your muscles faster after a tough workout. This rebuilding is where the strength and muscle gain magic happens. That, partnered with anti-aging and pro-immune system effects, means you can hit the gym consistently and with enough vigor to make it a quality workout each and every time. Who wouldn’t want that?
- Contains antioxidants: This one sounds like it can actually be supported by science. We all know about the benefits antioxidants have in fighting oxidative stress in the body. This is probably where they boldly claim its anti-aging properties. And there is some truth in that; lowering your body’s overall oxidative stress does slow down your body’s aging process. We consider that a win for sure.
To be honest, 7-Keto-DHEA sounds too good to be true… so is it?
At the moment, there’s insufficient evidence on whether or not this supplement helps with weight loss, muscle growth, increased thyroid gland activity, enhanced memory and immune system, and reduced aging. (Essentially, every single claimed benefit.)
That’s the way it is with most unsubstantiated fitness products. They get put on the market, then the research follows.
We aren’t advocating one way or the other; we’re simply stating what we know and what people have claimed while taking 7-Keto-DHEA.
These benefits could happen for you — the only way to figure it out is to test it yourself.
Trial and error is an athlete’s best friend!
7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite Dosage
For this particular product, the manufacturers have given you all the information you need to take LifeExtension 7-Keto safely and effectively.
How much 7-Keto DHEA Metabolite do you need? And when should you take it?
LifeExtension says to take one capsule upon waking and one capsule before your midday meal. It is preferable to take both of them on an empty stomach.
This makes sense if your goal is to lose body fat and improve muscle mass.
By taking this fat burner with your tank on empty, it has no choice but to burn that which is inside your body: a small amount of stored glycogen, then mostly body fat. Pairing this supplement with intermittent fasting would be a tremendous boon on your fat-loss journey.
At two servings per day (two capsules total), you get a bunch of fundamentally necessary ingredients, like:
- 22 mg of vitamin C
- 200 mg of 7-Keto-DHEA
- 50 mg of a branded turmeric extract that focuses on curcuminoids (anti-inflammatories and anti-oxidants)
- 50 mg of green tea extract (decaffeinated; added for more weight loss, improve memory, protect the heart/liver, and even more antioxidants)
- 6 mg of Japanese knotweed root and whole red grape extract (includes many vital micronutrients and resveratrol — from the grapes — which comes with its own benefits, as well as mitochondrial oxidation support)
That’s a solid lineup for a day’s worth of supplementation!
7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite Side Effects and Warnings
Of course, there’s nothing in this world that’s absolutely perfect. There are some caveats to using 7-Keto-DHEA supplements…
First off, this is verbatim from their website: “Consult a physician or licensed qualified health care professional before using this product if you have, or have a family history of breast cancer, prostate cancer, or other hormone-sensitive diseases.”
Hormone-sensitive diseases and cancers could theoretically feed off of this stuff… so make sure you’ve got the A-OK to give this a try.
Of course, if you’re a woman, there isn’t enough research behind 7-Keto-DHEA to deem it safe for use while pregnant or breastfeeding.
Err on the side of caution and avoid using it. Period.
PLEASE keep this out of reach of children, and NEVER exceed the recommended dose.
They have serving sizes for a reason, and the poison in any supplement gone awry is in the dose (or, in this case, the overdose). If the seal is damaged, steer clear of it and order a new one.
Side effects might include nausea, dizziness, or low blood pressure in certain individuals.
And, lastly, just use good judgment. You know you better than anyone. If you can check all the boxes — not pregnant, no abnormal medical history, the cognitive function to take the right amount — then you’re good to go.
LifeExtension 7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite could very well be the icing on the cake in terms of enhancing your overall physique… or it could be a money-grubbing crock.
The only way to know with 100 percent certainty is to try it out yourself.
At Athletic Muscle, we believe it’s worth pursuing (so long as you’re medically and physically cleared to do so).
The potential benefits far outweigh the potential risks, making it something you can at least test out. If it does nothing, fine — you’re out about 30 bucks.
But if it works, then you’ve just given yourself a MAJOR boost in your quest for fat loss and muscle growth.
To learn more about this specific supplement, check out the LifeExtension 7-Keto-DHEA Metabolite sales page.